Monday, October 25, 2010

Rod Stewart unveils love-child from brief teen romance

[HMG Celebrity News] – Now 65, and with a new baby due just after New Year, Rod Stewart has added another name to his family – Sarah Streeter. The daughter he gave up for adoption when he was in college.
“She was adopted when I was 17 or 18, I think,” the vintage vocalist told Joy Behar yesterday. “I was absolutely stone broke, so she was put up for adoption.”
For her first 18-years Sarah had no idea Rod was even her father. Now 46, she lives in England and is finding the process of reconnecting tricky, but very rewarding.
“There’s no anger,” Streeter told the Mail. “I was never angry about what happened, just sad. But I realize it’s been as difficult for him as it’s been for me. Now we’re at the start of a new chapter, and that’s wonderful.”
The pair first made contact when Rod sent her a letter after the death of Sarah’s adoptive parents in 2007.
“Since her mum and dad died we’ve tried to come together, and it’s working pretty well,” Stewart says. “I never felt I was her dad, because I didn’t take her to school or change her diapers – there was no paternal thing there, but I’m trying.”
The outcome of a brief romance Rod had with a student in the mid-60’s, Sarah and Rod reconnected when Rod sent flowers and a note after her adoptive mother, Evelyn died of a stroke. Now part of his sizable family of seven, with #8 due in January, Sarah says she’s delighted but nervous about the new connection.
“It’s all water under the bridge now,” she explains. “It’s nerve-racking, too, but just as much so for him as it is for me.”
At 46 Sarah faces the tricky position of being seven years older than Rod’s latest wife, Penny Lancaster. But that’s not the only odd thing – Before she knew Rod was her dad, Sarah was quite an admirer;
“I had a poster of him on my wall because I thought he was sexy – then suddenly I find out he’s my father,” she says, giggling. “Now I’m getting to know him more. Rod has actually come into my life in a big way since mother’s gone, and I don’t think that’s a coincidence.”
They finally met at one of Rod’s concerts in July at the ‘02 Arena’ in London. And now the bond is reformed, Sarah says their future looks strong;
“For a while, he didn’t really talk about me,” Sarah tells the reporters. “Now he talks about his seven children and an eighth on the way, not the six, and that’s lovely. Finally, it’s turned out the way I wanted it to, and it couldn’t be better.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment